Deadlines are based on intended final term of enrollment.
This document serves to provide deadlines and requirements related to degree certification. This information is intended to assist students in the completion and/or submission of required documentation to Rackham in preparation for degree conferral by the University of Michigan Board of Regents.
All requirements must be complete, final, and approved by Rackham, no later than 5:00 pm Eastern Time on the deadline day.
|Doctoral Defense Term (expected term of final enrollment)||Deadline All Requirements Must Be Completed to Receive Degree for Degree Conferral Date||Degree Conferral Date||Commencement Eligibility||Name Will Appear in Commencement Booklet|
|Spring/Summer 2017||August 4, 2017||August 18, 2017||December 2017 Winter Commencement|
|Spring/Summer 2017 (Grace Period)||September 25, 2017||December 17, 2017||December 2017 Winter Commencement|
|Fall 2017||November 13, 2017||December 17, 2017||December 2017 Winter Commencement|
|Fall 2017 (Grace Period)||January 23,2018||April 27, 2018||April 2018 Rackham Graduate Exercises|
|Winter 2018||April 3, 2018||April 27, 2018||April 2018 Rackham Graduate Exercises|
|Winter 2018 (Grace Period)|
May 16*, 2018
*IMPORTANT: Date updated from previously published deadline due to system availability.
|August 17, 2018||December 2018 Winter Commencement|
|Spring/Summer 2018||August 2, 2018||August 17, 2018||December 2018 Winter Commencement|
|Spring/Summer 2018 (Grace Period)||September 24, 2018||December 16, 2018||December 2018 Winter Commencement|
Music: Performance (A.Mus.D.) and Music: Conducting (A.Mus.D.)
Before The Oral Defense
- At least 10 working days prior to the oral defense, register online for a pre-defense meeting. Choose the REMOTE option. When registering, you will provide your name; program; U-M identification number; defense date, time, and location; and your committee members’ e-mail.
- Begin viewing your committee on Wolverine Access three days prior to your defense to confirm all members have submitted their evaluation. (All members must complete an evaluation before OARD can authorize the defense.) After confirming all evaluations have been received, your Final Oral Exam Report form (that all members must sign at the defense) will be available to print through the online evaluation system. Be sure that a copy of that form is taken to the oral defense and signed by the committee members.
After The Defense
Since extensions to the deadline are not permitted, allow enough time (a few days is preferred) to complete additional dissertation format revisions that may be required by Rackham. It may take several resubmissions before we are able to approve the final dissertation. All revisions and requirements must be completed and approved no later than 5:00pm EST on the deadline day. Missing this deadline may require another term of registration and tuition.
- Apply for graduation via Wolverine Access Student Business
- Complete the (optional) Rackham Doctoral Recipients exit survey
- Verify that your committee Chair has submitted the Final Oral Examination Report and the Certificate of Dissertation Committee Approval to Rackham OARD
- Send an e-mail to with the subject “DMA post-defense remote option” to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, program and student ID number. Do not schedule a post-defense appointment online
- An OARD staff member will e-mail you the link and instructions to upload a correctly formatted, digital copy of the dissertation which will be the official copy of record. You will need to copy and paste the text of your abstract (during the online submission [note that special characters cannot be accommodated and the word limit is 550]). If format revisions are required, you will need to make the corrections and re-upload the dissertation.
You may participate in commencement on or after the conferral date when all requirements have been completed.